Unit leaders, please review this important information regarding transportation and parking. We have been working with the Falmouth Police Department and the management of the Cape Cod Fairgrounds to develop a plan for traffic and parking that will keep those on the fairgrounds property safe as well as keep Rt #151 and the roadways around the fairgrounds clear of traffic back-ups. We will require everyone cooperation to implement this plan.
- UNITS MUST CARPOOL. This includes all Webelos Dens. All units coming to MJ ’18, troops, Webelos dens, ships, crews and posts must plan to carpool to keep the number of vehicles in the parking lots to a minimum. PLEASE – no cars with one or two occupants. Please work with the leadership of your unit, the parents and drivers to make sure vehicles are being filled with passengers. (In 2013, we had approximately 7,000 people on-site and over 2,200 vehicles parked in lots around the site. That yielded a parking lot crowding situation as well as a huge traffic jam around the Cape Cod Fairgrounds.)
- ONLY ONE equipment vehicle from your unit will be allowed on the camping area. We urge you to locate and make arrangements for an equipment vehicle NOW! If you have a unit trailer, can borrow or rent a trailer for the weekend, that will be great for transporting your equipment to your campsite. That should be a plus for unloading and then reloading your unit’s equipment after the event. The vehicle towing the trailer MUST leave the campsite area and will be parked in a parking lot set aside for trailer towing vehicles for the weekend. More detailed information for requesting to have the trailer left on your camping area will follow from MJ ’18 leadership. If you are using a pick-up truck, van or other vehicle as your equipment vehicle, that vehicle must leave the camping area when it is unpacked, go to the parking area and will not be allowed back onto the camping area until Monday morning.
- This year we will be allowing scheduled Friday night arrivals in the camping area. All Friday night arrivals must arrive between 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. on Friday, October 5th. Details on how to sign-up for Friday night arrivals will be released in the next Traffic/Parking Plan Information Release. Units arriving on Friday night will be allowed to park near the camping area at the Cape Cod Fairgrounds parking lot off Rt 151.
- All passenger vehicles, on Saturday morning will be parking in the Steamship Authority Cataumet Lot. Shuttle busses will transport passengers and no more than a day pack in their lap to the Mass Jam 2018 site. All major gear should be in or on the equipment trailer, so the buses may be filled with the maximum number of passengers for the bus ride.
- In September 2018, you will hear of work being done on the Bourne Bridge leading to Cape Cod. When the work is on-going the bridge will be reduced to one lane in each direction getting onto and leaving Cape Cod. We have been in contact with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and they have assured us that the construction equipment and barriers will be removed from the Bourne Bridge from Friday, October 5th through Monday, October 8th, so there will be no construction slowdowns travelling to or leaving Mass Jam 2018.